atom feed45 messages in org.apache.commons.devSupport for OSGi
FromSent OnAttachments
Carsten ZiegelerDec 19, 2007 6:37 am
Tom SchindlDec 19, 2007 6:46 am
nicolas de loofDec 19, 2007 7:04 am
Carsten ZiegelerDec 19, 2007 7:47 am
simonDec 19, 2007 11:28 am
Niall PembertonDec 19, 2007 12:41 pm
Torsten CurdtDec 19, 2007 3:16 pm
Stephen ColebourneDec 19, 2007 3:27 pm
Stuart McCullochDec 19, 2007 7:45 pm
Carsten ZiegelerDec 20, 2007 5:53 am
nicolas de loofDec 20, 2007 6:01 am
Carsten ZiegelerDec 20, 2007 6:11 am
Carsten ZiegelerDec 28, 2007 4:35 am.txt, .txt
Carlos SanchezDec 28, 2007 6:38 am
Niclas HedhmanDec 30, 2007 10:10 pm
Alan D. CabreraDec 30, 2007 10:57 pm
Niclas HedhmanDec 31, 2007 1:00 am
Henri YandellJan 1, 2008 5:54 pm
Carsten ZiegelerJan 2, 2008 12:22 am
Niall PembertonJan 3, 2008 5:51 am
Carsten ZiegelerJan 3, 2008 5:58 am
Niall PembertonJan 8, 2008 12:30 pm
Niall PembertonJan 17, 2008 8:49 am
Tom SchindlJan 21, 2008 12:13 am
Jörg SchaibleJan 21, 2008 12:21 am
Torsten CurdtJan 21, 2008 12:32 am
Tom SchindlJan 21, 2008 1:08 am
Torsten CurdtJan 21, 2008 1:35 am
Simon KitchingJan 21, 2008 1:43 am
Mark ProctorJan 21, 2008 10:03 am
Jörg SchaibleJan 22, 2008 12:28 am
sebbJan 22, 2008 4:09 am
Simon KitchingJan 22, 2008 5:01 am
Niall PembertonJan 29, 2008 2:29 pm
Oberhuber, MartinJan 31, 2008 5:52 am
Peter KriensJan 31, 2008 7:01 am
Niall PembertonJan 31, 2008 7:02 am
Stuart McCullochJan 31, 2008 7:52 am
Stuart McCullochJan 31, 2008 8:00 am
Oberhuber, MartinFeb 1, 2008 5:18 am
Niall PembertonFeb 1, 2008 7:01 am
Niall PembertonFeb 1, 2008 7:19 am
Niall PembertonFeb 1, 2008 8:21 am
Stuart McCullochFeb 1, 2008 8:55 am
Oberhuber, MartinFeb 5, 2008 1:15 pm
Subject:Support for OSGi
From:Carsten Ziegeler (czie@apache.org)
Date:Dec 19, 2007 6:37:40 am
List:org.apache.commons.dev

Hi,

the products of commons are highly used throughout many projects.

It would be great, if the projects here at Apche Commons could help those projects that are using OSGi.

OSGi is based around the concept of a bundle - a bundle is a jar file with additional meta data like the packages it exports and a list of external packages it is using (please forgive me if I'm simplifying here too much).

As many projects are using artifacts from Apache Commons, they need the specific jars as bundles. This is most often done by creating so called wrapper bundles: these are jars that have the same contents as the original library with the addition of the required meta data. You can find several examples here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/commons/

Now, it would be great, if the projects here at Apache Commons would already provide artifacs that can be directly used in an OSGi environment.

All that has to be done is adding some entries to the manifest. This is usually a list of imported packages, a list of exported packages, a symbolic name for the bundle and a version. (There are some more but these are the most important ones).

Adding these entries can be done by hand (not recommended) or with tools automatically. For example the Apache Felix maven bundleplugin requires just some lines of configuration and that's it.

It would be great if some of the projects here could add these meta data as part of their next release. This will make the life of all projects using OSGi much much easier.

So if you're interested in helping us, just let us know. We would be happy to make the required changes to the poms or whatever needs to be done. I cc'ed the Felix dev list as some Felix developers might not be subscribed to the commons dev list, so please keep them cross posted.