atom feed45 messages in org.apache.commons.devRe: Support for OSGi
FromSent OnAttachments
Carsten ZiegelerDec 19, 2007 6:37 am
Tom SchindlDec 19, 2007 6:46 am
nicolas de loofDec 19, 2007 7:04 am
Carsten ZiegelerDec 19, 2007 7:47 am
simonDec 19, 2007 11:28 am
Niall PembertonDec 19, 2007 12:41 pm
Torsten CurdtDec 19, 2007 3:16 pm
Stephen ColebourneDec 19, 2007 3:27 pm
Stuart McCullochDec 19, 2007 7:45 pm
Carsten ZiegelerDec 20, 2007 5:53 am
nicolas de loofDec 20, 2007 6:01 am
Carsten ZiegelerDec 20, 2007 6:11 am
Carsten ZiegelerDec 28, 2007 4:35 am.txt, .txt
Carlos SanchezDec 28, 2007 6:38 am
Niclas HedhmanDec 30, 2007 10:10 pm
Alan D. CabreraDec 30, 2007 10:57 pm
Niclas HedhmanDec 31, 2007 1:00 am
Henri YandellJan 1, 2008 5:54 pm
Carsten ZiegelerJan 2, 2008 12:22 am
Niall PembertonJan 3, 2008 5:51 am
Carsten ZiegelerJan 3, 2008 5:58 am
Niall PembertonJan 8, 2008 12:30 pm
Niall PembertonJan 17, 2008 8:49 am
Tom SchindlJan 21, 2008 12:13 am
Jörg SchaibleJan 21, 2008 12:21 am
Torsten CurdtJan 21, 2008 12:32 am
Tom SchindlJan 21, 2008 1:08 am
Torsten CurdtJan 21, 2008 1:35 am
Simon KitchingJan 21, 2008 1:43 am
Mark ProctorJan 21, 2008 10:03 am
Jörg SchaibleJan 22, 2008 12:28 am
sebbJan 22, 2008 4:09 am
Simon KitchingJan 22, 2008 5:01 am
Niall PembertonJan 29, 2008 2:29 pm
Oberhuber, MartinJan 31, 2008 5:52 am
Peter KriensJan 31, 2008 7:01 am
Niall PembertonJan 31, 2008 7:02 am
Stuart McCullochJan 31, 2008 7:52 am
Stuart McCullochJan 31, 2008 8:00 am
Oberhuber, MartinFeb 1, 2008 5:18 am
Niall PembertonFeb 1, 2008 7:01 am
Niall PembertonFeb 1, 2008 7:19 am
Niall PembertonFeb 1, 2008 8:21 am
Stuart McCullochFeb 1, 2008 8:55 am
Oberhuber, MartinFeb 5, 2008 1:15 pm
Subject:Re: Support for OSGi
From:Niclas Hedhman (nic@hedhman.org)
Date:Dec 31, 2007 1:00:35 am
List:org.apache.commons.dev

On Monday 31 December 2007 14:57, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm not completely following.  What problems does this   create?  How is it counter-productive.

Commons-logging is not designed for a) OSGi environment with classes loaded and unloaded in runtime. b) Unifying Commons-logging, Log4J, SLF4J, Avalon Logging API, KF Log API, JDK Logging API and OSGi's own Log service API, to be routed to the same logging backend.

When we did the Pax Logging system, we addressed the above very seriously and have a solution that works, BUT it required us to high-jack the commons-logging API namespace and interfaces (that goes for Log4J as well), and it is possible to crash Pax Logging by installing commons-logging packages in parallel (unless the user remembers to do a "provider=paxlogging;mandatory:=provider" in the ImportPackage).

I have not checked the implementation details on commons-logging recently, but older versions have been one of the largest single cause of "wasted time" in Java history, with its class caching and runtime "detection" of logging system to use. I suspect that some of that has been corrected, but I likewise suspect that it there are still many problems for the OSGi environment, which will be hard to track/find for the average user. A quick look at LogFactory, and I am pretty convinced that I my suspicion is accurate.

Personally, I think the "Logging scene" is absurd...

Cheers -- Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er I work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug